New grocery delivery service grows in Ann Arbor

By Alex Juntti, Daily Staff Reporter
Published July 1, 2015

University students no longer need to leave the comfort of their homes to shop for groceries.

Ann Arbor’s new delivery service, Delivice, gives students the opportunity to order groceries and receive them the same day.

Delivice says its mission is to bridge convenience and accessibility by delivering groceries from local stores directly to customers’ doorsteps.

The new service operates seven days a week from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. A markup is charged on all items as well as a flat delivery rate of $2.99.

Recent University graduate Benny Wang founded Delivice in February 2014, when he noticed his friends, especially those without a car, struggling to access quality grocery stores.

The project began as a simple spreadsheet created by Wang to help his friends. Within three months, Delivice turned into a fully functional website and a new business opportunity.

The website contains a catalog of items, which browsers can select to create a virtual shopping cart. Customers can then select their two-hour delivery time-frame window.

Although the service is primarily directed towards students, Wang noted that since its beginnings, Delivice has grown to serve much more of the Ann Arbor community.

“Since we’ve been working with a website that’s more legitimate, we said: ‘Hey, other people in Ann Arbor could use this service,’ and we were right,” Wang said. “Other people who have used our service are senior citizens for one, people with disabilities, people that can’t get out of the house and busy families, people who work 9-5 and would like to have groceries delivered to them when they get home.”

The service delivers primarily from Kroger, but has been working to partner with local specialty stores and Whole Foods.

Julie Arbit, a former University student and current Delivice employee, said the convenience of the service was most popular for students without easy access to grocery stores.

“Most of my deliveries were to one of the apartment buildings on campus like U Towers,” Arbit said. “We had a lot of Landmark orders as well as Varsity and 411 Lofts. Those students were popular because a lot of them didn’t have cars, unlike students who lived in houses.”

Delivice is currently looking into expanding by developing a Delivice mobile app and branching out to neighboring cities and college towns.