Wednesday, October 22, 2014

'M' note: Women’s track and field takes seventh at Big Ten Championship

By Greg Garno, Daily Sports Writer
Published May 14, 2012

The Wolverines flew under the radar over the weekend at the Big Ten Outdoor Championships, finishing with 67 points, just nine points away finishing in the top five. Ohio State won the meet with 117 points.

Michigan used a first-place finish by junior Erin Pendleton in the discus, and solid depth to keep the Wolverines within contention. Pendleton won her second consecutive discus title with a throw of 55.42 meters (181-feet, 10-inches) and was followed by her sister, senior Emily Pendleton, who took second with her throw of 54.86 meters (180-feet). Both throws by the girls mark a facility record in Madison.

Emily would also go on to capture seventh place in the shot put and eighth in the hammer throw as well, with her respective marks of 15.50-meters (5-feet, 10-inches) and 57.09 meters (187-feet, 4-inches).

Sophomore Kiley Tobel vaulted her way to a second-place finish, with a height of 4.24-meters (13-feet, 11-inches).

Sophomore Alex Leptich also captured second place, losing her lead on the last lap in the 3000-meter steeplechase for the Wolverines.

Also finishing second for Michigan was sophomore Jillian Smith in the 1500-meter run, clocking a 4:17. Junior Rebecca Addison took seventh in the same event with her time of 4:20. The duo also ran the 800-meter run together taking seventh and eighth places, respectively.

Sophomore Erin Busbee finished in fourth place in the heptathlon, after she recorded a personal-best in five of the seven events.

The Wolverines also received points from sophomore Amber Smith, who took fifth in the 100-meter hurdles (13.6 seconds) and eighth in the 400-meter hurdles (1:02).

Michigan will travel to Jacksonville next for the NCAA East Regional to determine which individuals advance to the NCAA Championship in June.

|