Friday, October 24, 2014

To recreate nighttime magic, Michigan will play Notre Dame in primetime in 2013

Marissa McClain/Daily

By Zach Helfand, Daily Sports Editor
Published December 12, 2012

Get ready for Under the Lights round two.

The Michigan football team will play Notre Dame in a primetime game in 2013, the Athletic Department and ESPN announced Wednesday.

The game, scheduled for Sept. 7, will air on ABC or ESPN. The exact time has yet to be determined.

“Our Athletic Department is looking forward to recreating the night-game magic from two years ago,” said Athletic Director Dave Brandon in a statement. “We have more in store for this game than the initial night game and will work hard to create many ‘WOW’ moments.”

Michigan also plans to honor Tom Harmon, the 1940 Heisman Trophy winner, before the game by designating his No. 98 a Michigan Football Legend’s number. The Wolverines designated five Legend’s numbers in 2011 and 2012. Before the game against Notre Dame in 2011, Desmond Howard received the honor.

Next year’s game is the last scheduled contest between the two rivals at Michigan Stadium in the near future, after Notre Dame chose to opt out of its contract with Michigan. The game in South Bend in 2014 will be the last meeting before the hiatus.

The meeting will be the second-ever night game at Michigan Stadium, and the first one will be hard to top. In 2011, Michigan used a touchdown with two seconds remaining secure a thrilling 35-31 win over the Fighting Irish.

|