Thursday, October 2, 2014

Floyd, Hagerup and Hawthorne suspended for Outback Bowl

Adam Glanzman/Daily
Junior punter Will Hagerup has been suspended in each of his three years at Michigan, for a total of six games. Buy this photo

By Zach Helfand, Daily Sports Editor
Published December 16, 2012

The Michigan football team has suspended fifth-year senior cornerback J.T. Floyd, senior linebacker Brandin Hawthorne and junior punter Will Hagerup for the Outback Bowl, the team announced on Sunday.

The three players will not travel with the team, which is scheduled to leave for Florida on Dec. 23, for a violation of unspecified team rules.

Floyd and Hawthorne, both in their final season of eligibility, will not play again at Michigan.

Hagerup, who was named the Eddleman-Fields Big Ten Punter of the Year this season, was also suspended by Michigan coach Brady Hoke in 2011. In that case, Hagerup missed the first four games of the season for a violation of team rules. In 2010, Hagerup was suspended for the game against Ohio State by then-Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez.

“It is an honor to play football for the University of Michigan, and we have high standards and expectations for everyone that represents our program,” Hoke said in a release. “These young men used poor judgment in each circumstance, and these suspensions are teaching moments for our team.”

South Carolina also suspended two players for the Outback Bowl for a violation of team rules. Receiver D.L. Moore, who has started five games this season, and offensive lineman Kyle Harris will not travel with the team, South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier announced on Saturday.

Both Floyd and Hagerup are starters for the Wolverines. On Friday, Hoke announced that freshman running back Dennis Norfleet had moved to cornerback following Michigan’s last regular season game. Hoke said Norfleet could play there in the Outback Bowl.

Sophomore kicker Matt Wile will likely punt in Hagerup’s absence.

Floyd was raised in South Carolina. His uncle played football at South Carolina and Floyd said his grandfather is an avid Gamecocks fan. On Dec. 4, Floyd spoke about what it would be like to play his home-state school. He, like the others, will no longer have the chance.