Paani founder Sikander 'Sonny' Khan and William, Prince of Wales.
Courtesy of Sonny Khan.

University of Michigan alum Sikander “Sonny” Khan founded the nonprofit Paani Project in 2017 working to provide clean water, health care, education and sanitation to Pakistan. Khan received The Diana Legacy Award for his humanitarian efforts on March 14. Khan was one of just 20 people worldwide to be awarded the Princess Diana Legacy Award, which focuses on recognizing young people for their contributions toward positive change. Khan was also recognized on the 2024 Forbes 30 under 30 list for marketing and advertising.

In an interview with The Michigan Daily, Khan said Paani originally started out as a small coalition of Pakistani American students at the University of Michigan, but has now expanded to a global nonprofit organization.

“(Paani) went from this student organization that we imagined would build 10 wells by the time that we graduated to a full-fledged nonprofit that is now empowering over one million people with access to clean, healthy water and doing numerous other humanitarian-related efforts,” Khan said. “People across the U.S. were really invested in this idea of knowing they could give money, see how it’s helping people, put their name on the water well and see everything from start to finish.” 

In a press release, Tessy Ojo, chief executive of The Diana Award, said the award is meant to recognize the hard work of young change-makers around the world.

“As we mark the start of our 25th Anniversary year these young people couldn’t be a more fitting tribute and legacy to Diana, the late Princess of Wales and her belief that young people have the power to change the world,” Ojo wrote. “Through their courage, selflessness and sheer determination they are making change happen, often, in the face of huge adversity. Their compassion, determination and agency to make positive change today and in the years ahead is immense.”

Khan told The Daily he felt honored to be compared to Princess Diana, who is often remembered for her own humanitarian work.

“I think the award itself represents somebody who represented compassion, agency, determination, fearlessness and who constantly embodied that in everything that she did,” Khan said. “To be receiving something that represents her legacy and continuing her legacy is truly surreal.”

In an interview with The Daily, Shayaan Aqil, creative director of Paani, said he is proud of what Khan has accomplished through Paani so far and is excited to see what else Paani will achieve in the future.

“I think that (Khan) receiving this award is an incredible accomplishment for him, and I don’t think there’s anybody more deserving,” Aqil said. “I’ve seen the dedication and countless hours he put into the project. Him receiving this award also reflects the collective effort of Paani, so I’m personally very grateful to be part of such a renowned project and for the opportunity to serve and change lives in Pakistan. … I think this will hopefully lead to more support and partnerships in the future so we can continue to grow our impact.”

Aqil said going forward, Paani is striving to provide resources that fit the unique needs of individual communities, as well as make these resources sustainable.

“On our last trip (to Pakistan) that I had the honor of being part of, one of the things that we recognized was some of the cultural differences in various regions in Pakistan,” Aqil said. “I think that this award inspires us and gives us the motivation to continue working towards being partners in progress and be able to provide support based on the individualized needs of each community.”

Engineering senior Hasnain Rehman told The Daily that Paani recently launched a campaign for a mobile clinic, which he hopes will receive increased attention in light of The Diana Award.

“It’s going to be a barrier-free health care, offering free services directly to communities in need,” Rehman said. “It is something that is going to go from village to village, so it will be bringing hope and help to multiple villages. This is one step forward in our mission, and of course, every step we take brings us closer to a healthier environment.”

Khan said he encourages other students to take initiative in order to create the lasting change they want to make in the world.

“For you to achieve what you want, it’s going to require greediness, persistence and fearlessness that you had to embody your whole life,” Khan said. “Continue to lean on that as much as possible, and take pride in the adversity that has shaped who you are, because those are unique experiences that can only make you a better, stronger leader.”

Daily Staff Reporter Delilah Dakis can be reached at delilahd@umich.edu.