Thursday, July 31, 2014

New biology building and other projects approved by regents

By Claire Bryan, Daily Staff Reporter

At their meeting on Thursday, the University’s Board of Regents unanimously voted to commence a host of construction projects with projected costs of more than $510 million.

The projects span across campus, including the construction of a new 300,000-square-foot Biological Science Building and renovations of the older sections of the Ross School of Business, West Quad Residence Hall and the historic President’s House.

Regents approve construction of a new Biological Science Building

The construction of the Biological Sciences Building — the project that will bring about the biggest change to the landscape of Central Campus — will cost an estimated $261 million. Funding will come from LSA and Office of the Provost resources.

The BSB will be built adjacent to the Life Sciences Institute, on the site of the historic North Hall and the Museums Annex, both of which will be demolished.

The new facility will include new research laboratories, offices, classrooms and vivarium services, and will adopt portions of the four museum collections currently housed in the Ruthven Museums Building. Additionally, the new BSB will connect to the Life Sciences Institute, which Ecology Prof. Deborah Goldberg, chair of the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, said would facilitate the shipping and receiving of lab supplies.

After construction is completed, the Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology and the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology will be transferred into the new space. Both units are currently located in the Edward Henry Kraus Natural Science Building, which was built in 1915.

Goldberg said the Kraus building is no longer capable of supporting contemporary research and the large number of researchers within the departments.

“It is pretty hard to do modern science in a building that is close to a hundred years old,” Goldberg said.

She cited the inadequacy of the electrical systems and air handling systems and mentioned how the lack of space is inconvenient for equipment and hinders students’ ability to interact and work with each other.

LSA junior Madeline Berschback said the new building will provide a common space for biology majors to collaborate.

“The most exciting part is that all the biology classes will be in the same place and we won’t have to be running from building to building,” she said. “I think the best part of this is it will create a really nice sense of community.”

Architecture firm SmithGroupJJR — a firm used frequently by the University — has been chosen to design the project.

The University’s Reserve Officers’ Training Corps program, which had occupied North Hall for more than half a century, has been relocated to the Chemistry Building. Once construction is complete, the ROTC will move to the current Kinesiology Building, and the School of Kinesiology will be relocated to the Kraus Building.

Plans for the demolition of North Hall and the Museums Annex will be formally proposed later this year as part of the five-year plan to complete the project.

Both biology departments are expected to be fully relocated to the new facility by 2019.

Ross additions, renovations approved

Following the receipt of a $200 million donation from real estate mogul and University alum Stephen Ross in September, the regents moved ahead with putting the money to use.

Entirely funded by gift funds, including $100 million from the Ross donation, the project will renovate the older portions of the Business School. Plans include exterior finishes to Sam Wyly Hall and the Hill Street Parking Structure, renovations of the Business Administration Executive Dormitory and an addition to the Kresge Business Administration Library.

The plans also call for the construction of a new, 104,000-square-foot academic building. To open up space for the new building, the Computer and Executive Education Building will be demolished.

Conceived to create a cohesive look for the business complex, the $135 million project will also create additional research offices, classrooms and study spaces, plus larger space for admissions, financial aid and recruiting functions.

Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates, a New York City architectural firm, will design the project.

President’s House renovations approved

The only remaining building from the campus’ original 40 acres, the historic President’s House will soon receive $1.3 million in infrastructure improvements and interior cosmetic upgrades.

The renovation project will replace the flat roof surfaces, two heating, ventilation and air-conditioning units, repaint exterior areas, repair wood, masonry and stucco, and renovate three bathrooms and a second floor kitchenette. The fire detection and alarm system will also be replaced.

The building’s last major renovation occurred in 2002, before University President Mary Sue Coleman moved in. During Thursday’s meeting, Tim Slottow, executive vice president and chief financial officer, said this type of project is best completed when no one is living in the house, making the presidential transition the ideal time to commence the renovation.

The project will be funded by investment proceeds and construction is expected to conclude before University President-elect Mark Schlissel moves to Ann Arbor this summer.

Next major phase in Residence Life Initiative moves forward

As renovations at South Quad Residence Hall wrap up this summer, the University will set its sights on West Quad and Cambridge House during a two-year renovation.

While schematic designs were approved last year, the regents voted Thursday to seek bids for construction on the 370,000-gross-square-foot residence hall that is home to 1,100 students.

At a cost of $114.5 million, the University will convert West Quad’s dining hall into a community and practice space, with dining services relocated across the street to the new Central Campus Dining Center in South Quad. The renovation will also update bathrooms, windows, heating, cooling and plumbing.

The project is the next step in the University’s multi-year plan to upgrade its on-campus residence halls, a project that has recently renovated East Quad Residence Hall, Alice Lloyd Residence Hall and Couzens Residence Hall.

Schematic designs were approved last year and construction will be completed by summer 2016.

|