Wednesday, April 23, 2014

CSG election results released, Rackham elections voided and rescheduled due to faulty ballot

By Giacomo Bologna, Staff Reporter

The Central Student Government released unofficial results of its November elections a little more than 12 hours after polls closed Wednesday at 11:59 p.m., but announced it will reschedule the election for the eight Rackham representative seats after a faulty ballot only allowed students to vote for one candidate.

LSA senior Lukas Garske, CSG student general counsel, wrote in an e-mail to candidates that CSG reopened the ballot midday on Thurday and Rackham students will have an additional 48 hours to vote on Rackham representatives before polls close at 11:59 p.m. on Saturday.

Garske also acknowledged an error in the ballot for LSA assembly representative, but said it ultimately had no bearing on the election’s outcome.

“We also received reports of an error in the LSA elections, which allowed students to rank three candidates, while only two seats were vacant on the Assembly,” Garske wrote. “After conferring with ITS, it was determined this error did not affect the results.”

Results from the LSA Student Government and University of Michigan Engineering Council elections were released shortly after their respective polls closed early Thursday morning, similar to the results of last November’s CSG elections. CSG violated its own Compiled Code, releasing its results after the 12 p.m. Thursday deadline, albeit only by six minutes.

Even the results of the March elections, which saw unprecedented turnout and election complaints, were released within the 12-hour window their Compiled Code requires.

In addition to the now-void Rackham ballots, students voted on 10 other open positions: assembly representative positions from LSA, the College of Engineering, the School of Natural Resources, the College of Architecture, the School of Dentistry, the School of Public Health, the School of Education and a position on the Department of Public Safety Oversight Commission.

Though November CSG elections are meant to fill vacancies in the assembly, not all seats voted upon are vacant — some were temporarily filled after the resignation or dismissal of a member and others never had an attending holder.

Newly elected representatives include: Daniel Glick-Unterman, a College of Architecture and Urban Planning junior; LSA junior Chris Mays, Division of Public Safety and Security Oversight Committee representative; seniors Sriram Yarlagadda and Gavin Lim and sophomore Michael Hatty, representatives from the College of Engineering; sophomore Robert Dishell and senior Brian Koziara, LSA representatives; Lior Aljadeff, representative from the School of Dentistry; Emma Howland-Bolton, representative from the School of Education; and Desiree McLain, representative from the School of Public Health.

|