2011-04-04

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

DPS gives ‘all clear’ after report of armed man in Chemistry Building

By Caitlin Huston, Daily News Editor

As of 1:15 a.m., University Police have issued an "all clear" notice on a report that a man with a gun was in the Chemistry Building early Monday morning.

An emergency alert was issued at about 1 a.m. by the Department of Public Safety stating that a man was reported with a gun in the Chemistry Building at about midnight. Students were instructed to avoid the building and to remain at their location if they were in the building. However, since the all clear notice has been issued, University Police say it is safe to resume normal activity.

In an interview with DPS spokewoman Diane Brown at 1:30 a.m., Brown said police searched the building located on North University Avenue, but were not able to locate any armed individual or individual fitting the description University Police were given.

Though the incident was initially reported at midnight, Brown said because the police did not receive a confirmation of the suspect’s presence, did not receive other calls reporting the incident and did not have any reports of shots fired, the alert was not immediately sent out. The alert was sent at 1 a.m. when officers encountered a few students in the Chemistry Building.

Brown said police will return to talk to the original person who reported seeing the armed man to see if they can find out any more information. She said police will also continue to search the area.

While the emergency alert was issued through text and voice messages, a campus wide e-mail about the incident failed to activate, Brown said.

Brown said if an incident like this happens in the future students should take safe and appropriate measures.

“If anyone sees anything suspicious always call the police immediately,” Brown said. “If it’s safe to do so get out of the area, if it’s not be sure to shelter in place.”

The last armed incident on campus occurred on Jan. 18, 2011 when a DPS crime alert was issued about a man who was robbed at gunpoint at 3:30 a.m. near Hill St. on the 700 block of Oxford Rd.

The two male suspects in the incident were arrested on Feb. 11 by the Ann Arbor Police Department.

The last time an emergency alert was issued was on March 3, 2011, when a severe weather warning was in effect for southern Michigan, with possible tornados and 80 mile-per hour winds.

|