Wednesday, October 22, 2014

CSG approves new budget

By Amrutha Sivakumar, Daily Staff Reporter

It took less than an hour on Tuesday night for the Central Student Government to unanimously pass a $340,704 budget for the winter semester.

Last Tuesday, CSG Treasurer Chris Osborn proposed a resolution budgeting CSG expenses for the winter term. Though the total budgeted expense remained the same from the previous week, specific allocations to organizations were amended. These included budgets for CSG-sponsored and funded- events.

Compared to a student organization receiving funds from the Student Organization Funding Commission to organize and plan their endeavors internally, a CSG-sponsored event requires the direct involvement of the CSG in the activity's execution.

This semester, CSG-sponsored events will include the annual St. Patrick’s Day Tailgate and a concert organized by MUSIC Matters, a student organization responsible for bringing a popular music artist to perform in Hill Auditorium in the spring. These events will be sponsored through the CSG discretionary funds.

After the CSG assembly meeting last Tuesday, Osborn stressed the importance of increasing the budgeted spending for SOFC.

Though Osborn said MUSIC Matters was a “great student organization” bringing a new event to campus, he said he wanted to ensure that CSG would oversee its planning.

“What I wanted to explicate to everyone was that if we were going to sponsor MUSIC Matters with such a large amount, CSG should be involved with the event,” Osborn said.

The proposed funding toward SOFC was increased by about $8,000. Furthermore, the funding towards MUSIC Matters was increased from $8,000 to $10,000, and the funding towards the St. Patrick’s Day Tailgate was increased from $8,000 to $15,000 dollars.

LSA representative Arielle Zupmore, an organizer of MUSIC Matters, suggested that representative involvement in the event could include helping the group with the organization of SpringFest — a culmination of student organizations on campus before the concert. CSG members could also be members of the “artist-selection committee” for the concert and help determine any environmental implications of the upcoming concert.

“Thankfully, we were able to compromise,” Osborn said. “We will hopefully be able to allocate more funds toward student organizations on campus that need it.”

To be able to accommodate for the increases in the budgeted expenses for about $2,200 was reallocated from the originally budgeted funding for CSG Commissions. Additionally, $500 was taken from each of the legislative and discretionary accounts and the proposed $35,000 towards graduate childcare subsidy was cut in half.

As per an agreement last spring between the GEO and university administrators, the CSG would provide a total of $150,000 over the course of two years to subsidize parts of the childcare costs of graduate student instructors and graduate student staff assistants.

“Because the Office of Financial Aid has been very difficult with getting back to us on seeing whether this is a pilot program we can actually implement, we decided to only provide $17,500 this semester,” Osborn said. “Hopefully we will be able to provide the other $17,500 during the fall semester.”

Though the budget was approved as final during the meeting, Osborn noted that changes in student enrollment before the drop/add deadline could affect CSG revenue from student fees by up to $5,000. Any such changes will be addressed in the next assembly meeting.

Follow Amrutha Sivakumar on Twitter at @xamrutha and follow The Institution at @TMDInstitution.