2012-11-21

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

SEC sues Medical School professor in insider trading case

By Adam Rubenfire, Daily News Editor

Neurology Prof. Sidney Gilman is being sued by the U.S. Securities and Exchanges Commission for his alleged role in a historically lucrative insider trading scheme.

In a complaint filed in the U.S. District Court of the Southern District of New York on Tuesday, the SEC alleged that Gilman provided non-public information about a clinical trial to Matthew Martoma, a portfolio manager at CR Intrinsic Investors, a hedge fund management firm based in Connecticut.

The SEC claims that Martoma's hedge funds and other affiliated funds garnered $276 million in profits or avoided losses in July 2008 by trading securities before Gilman was scheduled to make a "negative public announcement" regarding the results of clinical trials for an Alzheimer's medication being developed for Elan Corporation and Wyeth, Inc..

Wyeth was acquired by Pfizer, Inc. in 2009. Pfizer occupied the North Campus Research Complex before the University bought the facility.

Though the SEC went after Martoma, Gilman and CR Intrinsic, the Wall Street Journal reported that it appears that Steve A. Cohen, founder and owner of SAC Capital Advisors L.P., the parent firm of CR Intrinsic, is the final target.

Though the SEC complaint doesn’t name Cohen or SAC Capital Advisors, it notes that Martoma collaborated with CR Intrinsic’s portfolio manager, known as “Portfolio Manager A,” who is identified as the founder and owner of “Investment Adviser A” — a firm which is also alleged to have benefited from the scheme — and CR Intrinsic. The Journal reported that people close to the investigation have identified Cohen as “Portfolio Manager A.”

Gilman — who served as safety monitoring chair for the trials — is believed to have been rewarded about $100,000 for providing Martoma with information, including detailed results of the trial before the July 2009 public announcement. According to the SEC, Martoma received a $9.3-million bonus in 2008, much of which can be attributed to sales of Elan and Wyeth stock allegedly prompted by Gilman's information.

According to the SEC, Gilman received about $79,000 from Elan Coporation for his work on the trials for the drug, Bapineuzumab.

Gilman was paired with Martoma through an expert network firm, which is a common occurrence for connecting investors or consultants with industry experts for analysis. The SEC complaint does not name the expert network firm, but Gilman's resume, posted on the University of Michigan Health System website, notes that he has held a consulting position with Gerson Lehrman, among several other firms, since 2002. The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday that individuals familiar with the case have confirmed that the expert network firm used by Gilman and Martoma was Gerson Lerhman.

The case notes that, after dealing with Martoma through the firm for several years, Gilman saw him as a “friend and a pupil.”

According to the SEC complaint, Gilman scheduled his consulting appointments with Martoma around meetings of the Safety Monitoring Committee for the clinical trials, and would share with Martoma what he learned from the meetings.

Martoma was arrested by the FBI and charged Tuesday with conspiracy to commit securities fraud and two counts of securities fraud. He was released on $5 million bail.