2009-11-17

Thursday, April 24, 2014

'U' audit finds football team didn't report practice logs, experts on NCAA rules say more trouble for program

Andre J. Jackson/AP
Rich Rodriguez addresses Free Press allegations at an Aug. 31 press conference. Buy this photo

By Gary Graca, Editor in Chief
and Kyle Swanson, Daily News Editor

A University audit released yesterday found the football team failed to turn in forms that track various athletic activities for the 2008-2009 academic year. And though University documents say the issue has been resolved, several experts have said they believe this seems likely to be the latest in a growing pile of problems the Athletic Department is facing.

Documents

Click above to read the memo to Michigan football coaches and officials

Click above to read the University's full statement regarding the audit

Click above to read the University's Intercollegiate Athletics NCAA Directed Review

More like this

The audit, conducted by University Audits in partnership with the Athletics Compliance Services Office was completed on July 24 and came nearly a month before the Detroit Free Press published its report on Aug. 30 that alleged the football team violated rules governing practice time and off-season workouts.

The audit — the University’s annual compliance review — “did not observe any issues of non-compliance with NCAA rules and regulations,” but did find that the football team did not submit Countable Athletically Related Activities forms. Auditors stated that the failure to turn in these forms did not violate NCAA rules.

CARA forms, which are essentially practice logs, track the number of hours student-athletes spend on their sports and are used to track compliance with NCAA rules regarding countable practice hours. The forms are supposed to be submitted monthly by both the coaches and players, though the Athletic Department allows flexibility for larger teams. However, the audit stated the Michigan football team failed to submit its CARA forms in a timely manner.

In response to these findings, the auditors wrote a memorandum to head football coach Rich Rodriguez, Bradley Labadie, director of football operations, and Scott Draper, assistant athletic director for football operations, explaining the problem and urging the Athletic Department to correct it.

“Athletics should emphasize to the football program the importance of submitting CARA forms timely to ensure compliance with NCAA limits on athletically related activities,” the memo stated. “Athletics should also determine if the football programs process for completing CARA forms can be improved and assist if necessary.”

The memorandum ended by stating, “There will be no follow-up review for this issue and your response is not required.”

However, the University’s statement yesterday explained this statement in the memorandum, saying that “response to the issue was required and did occur” and that “forms are now turned in on a timely basis.”

In contrast to that statement from the University, an auditor’s note in the audit stated that, in fact, not all CARA forms have been turned in.

“Football out-of-season forms were submitted after the audit was completed and were therefore not reviewed by University Audits. Football regular-season CARA forms still have not been submitted,” auditors wrote in the report.

University spokeswoman Kelly Cunningham declined to comment on the apparent discrepancy in a telephone interview yesterday, because of the ongoing investigations by the NCAA and the University.

It is unclear when off-season CARA reports were received, and the University’s statement does not explicitly address the matter.

At the time the allegations from the Free Press were published, Associate Director Judy Van Horn, the Athletic Department’s compliance officer, denied allegations of wrongdoing.

“We have not had any reason to self-report any violations in this area with any of our sports,” Van Horn said in a statement at the time.

Rodriguez and Athletic Director Bill Martin both denied allegations in August that the team had violated NCAA rules, saying they did not believe any wrongdoings had occurred.

The denials from Van Horn, Rodriguez and Martin came at a time when at least some of the CARA forms — the regular-season forms — had not been submitted for review.