The cast and crew of “Green Eyes” have plenty to celebrate. The original show, conceived and written by musical theater senior Brian Mazzaferri, culminates months of laboring into a two-night stand of song, dance and technical wizardry.

There are soaring voices, impeccable dance routines, stunning special effects and a troop of trained performers. Everything that the Musical Theater and Dance programs at the University strive to teach is on display this weekend in the Duderstadt Center Video and Performance Studio on North Campus – and it’s all done from the pockets and hearts of the most dedicated people in the program.

This show was created, funded and produced entirely by School of Music students. The production, though supported by School of Music faculty, was funded by the small crew and relies on volunteers, friends and former collaborators who together help Mazzaferri make his songs more tangible for a live audience.

“Green Eyes,” a unique combination of two vocalists and two dancers, follows the rise and fall of two young lovers’ romance.

“It really hits the emotional high points over the course of the relationship,” Mazzaferri said.

In addition to dance routines and vocal duets, some previously recorded dance numbers are projected onto the three screens in the video studio, creating a visceral exercise in performance artistry.

The performers include senior vocalist Nick Blaemire, senior dancer Melissa Bloch, sophomore vocalist Caitlin Smith and sophomore dancer Alex Springer.

“The show’s a real genre-crosser; it borrows elements of dance, musical theater and pop music,” Mazzaferri said. “It’s been really rewarding. The creative team, the performers, just an amazing experience.”

Mazzaferri has been a songwriter for four years and wrote the “Green Eyes” melodies entirely on guitar. The challenge in making the musical come to life was coordinating the nearly 15 Music students, since the show’s rehearsals and planning had to be implemented into many already-stuffed schedules.

Music senior and dance major Lizzie Leopold directed “Green Eyes” and choreographed the dance-and-video projection routines.

“We had to rent an industrial fogger and cross our fingers,” Leopold said. The fog machines are integrated with the video projections to create an effect of lucid memory, and, ultimately, undying love and devotion.

“The reason this is going to work is because everyone who jumped into it totally owned what they’re doing. These are the best people in each field,” Leopold said.

The song-and-dance routines are accompanied by a full five-piece orchestra, arranged by senior musical theater student Eli Zoller. Zoller helped Mazzaferri transition the music and concepts a into full-blown show.

“You’re worried about staying true to the songwriter’s intentions, but once Brian gave me the green light, his trust was the most gratifying feeling,” Zoller said.

“Here we are, a bunch of college students doing it on our own – that’s the scariest thing – but we’re having a lot of fun.”

“Green Eyes” stands as a testament to the School of Music’s dedication to cultivating performers, and most importantly, exemplifies the way a persistent group of friends can create a show that’s artistically original.

“It’s a new, fresh work that delivers a message and has a very clear artistic intent. Nowadays in the arts that’s rare, and I believe it’s what should be valued,” Zoller said.

Green Eyes

Tonight and Saturday at 7:30 and 10 p.m.

Free

At the Duderstadt Center