Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Kelvin Grady leaves men's basketball team

BY ANDY REID AND ALEX PROSPERI
Daily Sports Writers

Sophomore point guard Kelvin Grady will leave the Michigan men's basketball team and transfer to another school, according to a statement released today by the Michigan Athletic Department. Grady hasn't decided where he will transfer.

"Kelvin has asked for his release from the program and we will grant that to him," Michigan coach John Beilein said in the statement. "Over the last two years, he has been a positive influence in helping build the foundation of our program. He is a wonderful young man on and off the floor. We wish him nothing but success in the future."

Grady started 33 of 64 games as a Wolverine and averaged 4.9 points, 1.6 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game in his career.

"It's been a wonderful experience both as a student and as a player here at the University of Michigan, but I feel I need a fresh start," said Grady. "I love this university and want to thank the coaching staff, my teammates and everyone else who has supported me over the past two years. However, I have decided to explore other academic and playing opportunities at this time."

The announcement comes after weeks of speculation that Grady was unhappy about his playing time. But the two players that beat Grady for the starting point guard role — fifth-year seniors C.J. Lee and David Merritt — graduated and will not be returning next year.

Grady's brother Kevin is on the Michigan football team. Kelvin played slot receiver — a position that's emphasized in Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez's spread option offense — for East Grand Rapids High School. He was a three-star recruit at the position.

To read the full statement by the Athletic Department go here:

http://thegame.blogs.michigandaily.com/2009/04/02/kelvin-grady-leaves-ba...