2012-05-17

Saturday, April 19, 2014

May 16, 2012 - 9:24pm

Women's swimming coach Jim Richardson announces retirement

BY LIZ NAGLE

After 27 years with the women’s swimming program, Michigan coach Jim Richardson announced his retirement yesterday.

“We are grateful for the passion, enthusiasm and dedication that Jim has provided,” Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon said. “Jim worked hard to mold our young women into some of the finest swimmers in the conference and in the nation.”

Richardson earned a long list of accolades during his tenure as six-time Big Ten Swimming Coach of the Year and NCAA Coach of the Year in 1993 and 1995.

Since arriving in 1985, Richardson has totaled 14 Big Ten Championships, including a streak of twelve-straight titles from 1987-98 that set the conference record for women’s athletics.

Richardson coached 162 All-Americans, led the Wolverines through four undefeated seasons and ended his career with a 175-77 record.

His successor has yet to be named, and Michigan will begin the search to fill the void in the program.

“Michigan is truly one of the great institutions in the world and to be a part of the development of young women has been my sole purpose,” Richardson said. “I am looking forward to what God has planned for me in this next stage of life. I will always be a fan and supporter of Michigan Athletics.”

|