2013-02-20

Friday, August 1, 2014

February 20, 2013 - 1:09am

In Other Ivory Towers: New electronic payment method at Duke

BY HILLARY CRAWFORD

Ivy, a new electronic payment application for students that automatically connects to either a bank account or a credit card number, is being endorsed by Duke University’s student government, The Duke Chronicle reported Friday.

The new system allows students to make transactions electronically with any other member of the system, eliminating the hassle of having to keep track of a card or even cash.

Duke freshman Alex Semien introduced the new method of payment to the student government which showed support for the adoption of this new system.

“Ivy is really innovative, and it is quick,” Semien said. “Honestly, it is the fastest peer-to-peer system that I have seen. Students almost never have cash with them anyway.”

Duke sophomore Tre’Ellis Scott added that Ivy has the potential to become synced with students’ Duke University accounts, making online access to transactions and expense records simpler for students.

“With this, groups will be able to pay each other and have a lot of transparency of their records,” Scott said. “Imagine if you wanted to donate to a group that was tabling, but you didn’t have time to stop. With this, you could donate straight from your account without stopping.”

Cornell takes measures to increase safety for students traveling abroad

Cornell has implemented a new online travel registry that will make traveling abroad safer for both students and staff, the Cornell Sunreported Friday.

When students organize a study abroad semester they are automatically registered with the system and will have access to emergency travel insurance as well as emergency evacuation should there be a natural disaster or uprising.

Alexis Santi, coordinator of travel safety for Cornell Abroad, said although a number of students who independently planned their trips have registered with the system, there are still 1,000 to 1,500 who have yet to do so.

Dean of Students Kent Hubbell said the system will be better able to respond to emergency situations and is therefore a preventative measure. He added that this should especially be a concern for students traveling to more dangerous, unstable areas.

“We need to make sure that travelers are well prepared for any unintended things that may happen in a country where it’s viewed by the state department that it is a risk to travel for Americans,” Hubbell said. “It helps us and other family members to feel as though if something happens then there is an opportunity to get help to somebody who might need it.”

Students who wish to travel to high-risk countries risk losing Cornell credit for the semester abroad and even funding from the university.