2012-04-06

Monday, November 24, 2014

April 6, 2012 - 4:35pm

University hires firms to conduct external review, campus safety assessment in child porn delay

BY ADAM RUBENFIRE

The University has chosen Latham and Watkins — an international law firm — and Vermont-based campus safety consulting firm Margolis Healy & Associates to perform external reviews of the University in light of a six-month delay in reporting the alleged possession of child pornography by former University of Michigan Health System resident Stephen Jenson.

University spokeswoman Kelly Cunningham confirmed today that Latham and Watkins was chosen by University President Mary Sue Coleman and Regent Denise Ilitch (D–Bingham Farms) to conduct an external review of the delay.

Cunningham said Latham and Watkins will have three main objectives in their review: an independent investigation of the case’s facts, administering advice to the University on internal controls and procedurs and procedures and assistance with any corrective actions that may be taken.

Margolis Healy & Associates was chosen for the organization’s expertise in safety and security needs of higher education institutions, Cunningham said. The firm — whose principals, Gary Margolis and Stephen Healy, are former campus police chiefs — will assess the University’s campus security operations, including the Department of Public Safety and Hospital Security, who were directly involved in the Jenson case delay.

The review by Latham and Watkins has a spending cap of $395,000 — but the review could cost less, according to Cunningham. The initial proposal by Margolis Healy & Associates priced their assessment at $105,000, but Cunningham said that price may be subject to change.

Representatives from Latham and Watkins did not return calls for comment Friday afternoon. Neither Margolis or Healy could be immediately reached for comment Friday afternoon because they were traveling, according to a company official.

This is a developing story. Check back to michigandaily.com and Monday’s edition of The Michigan Daily for updates.

|