2012-06-14

Thursday, April 24, 2014

June 14, 2012 - 11:40pm

'U' football players in legal trouble

BY STEVE ZOSKI

This summer, unrelated legal incidents have caused two Michigan football players to spend time in Ann Arbor courts.

On Thursday, ESPN.com reported that LSA senior William Campbell, a defensive tackle, pled guilty to a misdemeanor charge of malicious destruction of property.

According to ESPN, Campbell told the judge he slid across a 2003 Lincoln Town Car on the 600 block of Church Street on April 7.

Due to expenses caused by the damage brought upon the car, 315-pound Campbell also faced a felony charge for the same incident that was dropped in the plea deal.

Campbell's sentencing is scheduled for July 29. He is also scheduled for a pretrial hearing on July 23 for an alcohol violation related to the property charges.

Court records show that Campbell has previously appeared in court as a co-defendant for allegedly not paying rent.

Campbell isn’t the only football player who's gotten himself into shenanigans of late. Kinesiology junior Jerald Robinson, a redshirt sophomore wide receiver, has twice had his pretrial hearing delayed for an unrelated incident where he allegedly broke the gate arm of a local parking garage.

The Detroit Free Press reported that Robinson was absent from the 15th District Court on June 4 when his attorney asked that the pretrial be delayed until June 24. The pretrial hearing had already been delayed to June 4 because Robinson and his attorney were granted a delay when they appeared before judge Elizabeth Pollard Hines on May 14.

In an email to the Michigan Daily, David Ablauf, associate athletic director for media and public relations, said neither players' status has changed with the football team.

This is a developing story. Check back at michigandaily.com for updates.