2012-06-08

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

June 11, 2012 - 3:27pm

Sexual assault reported near Modern Languages Building

BY STEVE ZOSKI

Editor's note: After further investigation, DPS cancelled the crime alert as it was determined that the reported assault did not occur.

On Saturday, between 11:30 p.m. and midnight, a woman walking along Ingalls Mall by the Modern Languages Building was approached by three men who verbally harassed her with an anti-homosexual slur before one of the men grabbed her breast and arm, according to a Department of Public Safety crime alert issued this morning.

The suspect who grabbed her was described as being an unshaven 6-foot-tall white male in his late teens with a medium build and medium-length blonde hair. In the crime alert, he was further described as wearing a light-colored t-shirt and blue jeans.

DPS spokeswoman Diane Brown said that while the spot where the assault occurred was not a poorly lit area, there are other variables that students can pay attention to in order to prevent being assaulted.

“One should be able to walk where they want to walk by themselves," Brown said. "But if folks want to take extra precautions they could consider walking with a trusted friend, walking in well-lit areas and being aware of your surroundings.”

Brown said the survivor reacted well to prevent the assault from escalating.

“She apparently pushed and shoved the guy off and ran and the three guys didn't pursue her as far as she could tell,” Brown said. “She did a number of things that kept this from becoming an even more dangerous situation.”

This is a developing story. Check back at michigandaily.com for updates.

Managing Editor Giacomo Bologna contributed to this report.