2012-05-22

Friday, October 31, 2014

May 22, 2012 - 5:54pm

Maloney not returning to baseball program

BY COLLEEN THOMAS

Michigan coach Rich Maloney, who just completed his 10th season at the helm of the baseball team, will not return for another season in Ann Arbor.

Athletic Director Dave Brandon announced in a statement released Tuesday that he and Maloney have mutually agreed to not extend his contract after it expires at the end of June.

“Rich had several significant accomplishments during his Michigan career, but we agreed a coaching change at this time was in the best interest of the program,” Brandon said. “We appreciate Rich's contributions and wish him well as he transitions to his next career endeavor.”

Maloney added: “I have been blessed to be surrounded by some outstanding players, coaches and administrators during my time at Michigan. I appreciate the support that has been provided to me and our program by athletic directors Dave Brandon and Bill Martin, and administrators Bitsy Ritt, Greg Harden and Mike Stevenson. Michigan is a special place and I've met some incredible individuals who've had an impact on my life.”

The Wolverines wrapped up their 2012 season last weekend, losing two of three to Big Ten newcomer Nebraska. Michigan finished 10th in the conference with an 8-16 record, and ended with an overall mark of 22-34.

In his time with the program, Maloney led the team to three Big Ten titles, two Big Ten Tournament titles and won the 2007 NCAA Regional. He was also named the Big Ten and ABCA Mideast Regional Coach of the Year in 2007 and 2008.

A national search for his replacement will begin immediately.

|