2012-05-15

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

May 15, 2012 - 4:57pm

Jenson hearing postponed further

BY GIACOMO BOLOGNA

After almost a year since Stephen Jenson, a University of Michigan Health system resident, was first accused of possessing child pornography, he still has not had his preliminary exam in federal court.

Jenson was charged with possessing 97 photographs and four videos of child pornography and was scheduled to have a hearing in Detroit’s federal courthouse earlier this afternoon, though the hearing has now been postponed until June 26.

Jenson’s preliminary exam in federal court was initially scheduled for March 5 but was postponed to March 15 and then to May 15.

The initial charge was at the state level, but that case was dismissed when Jenson was charged at the federal level

According to the Stipulation to Continue Preliminary Examination and Complaint between the Defense and Plaintiff and the United States District Court Eastern District of Michigan Court — that originally moved the date of the hearing from March 15 to May 15 — Jenson’s defense counsel met with government officials regarding a possible plea.

“The ends of justice served by continuing the preliminary examination outweigh the best interests of the public and Defendant in a speedy trial,” the document stated.

Jenson, who was arrested in December, is currently out on a $10,000 bail.

In light of the six months it took for University officials to report the May 23, 2011, accusation against Jenson, the University has chosen an international law firm and a campus safety consulting firm to begin an external review.

Jenson’s lawyer, Raymond Cassar, said there are currently no plea negotiations and added that the delay in the hearing is contingent on the analysis of items seized during the trial.

“These things do take a long time because of the forensics involved,” Cassar said. “They have to do a forensic examination of the computers that were seized and the thumb drives that allegedly were seized.”

Cassar said the Defense is still waiting for the U.S. Attorney’s Office to complete its forensic examination before the materials in question can be reviewed by the defense.

He stressed that Jenson is innocent until proven guilty, in accordance with the law.

“It remains presumed innocent unless the government can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he’s guilty of this crime and we’re far away from that,” Cassar said.

This is a developing story. Check back at michigandaily.com for updates.