2012-11-12

Monday, December 22, 2014

November 11, 2012 - 11:54pm

In Other Ivory Towers: George Washington University misreports admissions data

BY RAYZA GOLDSMITH

George Washington University misrepresented the percentage of incoming freshman who graduated in the top 10 percent of their high school classes, The GW Hatchet reported on Thursday.

Though GWU reported that 78 percent of the school’s 2015 class graduated at the top of their respective classes, the provost’s office discovered an error that indicated the actual percentage was only 58 percent.

Though Forrest Maltzman, GWU’s senior vice provost for academic affairs and planning, claimed the mistake was an accident, it still has the potential to damage the university’s ranking by U.S. News & World Report, which currently ranks GWU 51st in the nation. The strength of an incoming freshman class is about 6 percent of a school’s total score.

Yale University announces new president

On Thursday, the Yale University governing board announced that Yale Provost Peter Salovey would succeed Yale President Richard Levin as university president beginning in the fall, The Yale Daily News reported Friday.

Salovey will become the university’s 23rd president. The announcement was made after the Presidential Search Committee spent almost three months searching for Levin’s replacement after Levin announced his resignation in August.

Salovey has served as Yale’s provost since 2008, but has been affiliated with the university since his days as a graduate student. He also served as a professor and dean of Yale College — the university’s undergraduate program — and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.