2013-01-31

Thursday, July 24, 2014

February 1, 2013 - 11:20am

This Week in Tweets: 'We're No. 1'

BY STEPHEN J. NESBITT

Illustration by Todd Needle/Daily

It was a special week for Michigan athletics. So let’s recap by looking through the photos and feeds of the social networks.

BACK ON TOP

The Michigan basketball team (19-1) hit No. 1 in the AP poll this week for the first time since Nov. 30, 1992, when the team boasted a starting ‘Fab Five’ consisting of Chris Webber, Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard, Jimmy King and Ray Jackson.

The Wolverines had no problem dispatching Northwestern, 68-46, their first opponent as No. 1. And it was the first time Crisler Center hosted a No. 1 Michigan team in 36 years, a month and 10 days.

Let’s start with a fan-favorite follow on Twitter. (Shameless!)

Meanwhile, sophomore guard Trey Burke is averaging 17.9 points and 7.1 assists per game. He is on pace to match Magic Johnson’s mark as the only Big Ten player to average 17 points and 7 assists in a full season.

And he’s finally getting some recognition from the likes of Zack Novak, Michigan’s captain last season.

With redshirt junior forward Jordan Morgan sidelined with a sprained right ankle, redshirt sophomore forward Jon Horford earned his second career start against the Wildcats on Wednesday. Horford finished with 10 points, seven rebounds and three blocks while his older brother, Al Horford, had 22 points, 10 rebounds, six assists and three blocks in the Atlanta Hawks’ 93-92 victory over the Toronto Raptors.

Not a bad night for the family. And Josh Horford, the duo’s younger brother, posted a pretty impressive video earlier in the day that Jon sent him.

This is here to do little more than introduce the new ‘Vine’ application, coming to an App Store near you, but Crisler Center has been pretty wild this season. It’s fun to see.

Daily photo editor Adam Glanzman, with the help of a few friends, put together a handful of posters of the No. 1 team in America. See the rest here.

Michigan assistant coach Bacari Alexander is a Twitter machine, known for his blitzes and cliché catchphrases. This tweet, though, is a delicious little typo.

GREEN GOES BLUE

Last Saturday, the Michigan football team earned the commitment of Derrick Green, the most sought-after running back recruit in the nation. Shane Morris, a quarterback commit, was pretty pleased.

As was Michigan coach Brady Hoke.

But maybe things were overblown.

Morris’s excitement got him into a little bit of trouble with running back Wyatt Shallman, who bristled at a particular omission in a Morris tweet in the aftermath of Green's commitment.

But not everyone was as happy as Hoke and the kids. There's always going to be someone who goes straight for the knees.

DENARD IN THE SENIOR BOWL

In the same hour Green committed, Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson strapped on the winged helmet for the Senior Bowl — his last appearance representing Michigan. Robinson finished with one rush for -3 yards and two catches for 22 yards on just two targets.

The week in Mobile, Ala. wasn't a complete failure, but plenty of NFL scouts voiced their concerns about Robinson's future — which likely sees him at wide receiver — at the next level. But, of course, Robinson was certainly the center of attention.

Even former West Virginia quarterback Pat White, whom Robinson surpassed in the Outback Bowl for the most rushing yards by a quarterback in NCAA history, took time to snap a photo with Robinson.

The fan opinions on Robinson's role and performance varied mightily. Not everyone was so pleased to see Robinson out on the field — at least not lining up as a wide receiver.

One person couldn't have been more pleased.

And then everyone had a say in what Robinson will do in the NFL.

He'll be a ... holder.

He'll be a ... Super Bowl champion.

He'll be a ... quarterback.

Or he'll be ... undrafted.

We'll leave it at that. Check in next Thursday for our second edition. And also make sure head over to this week's edition of 'This Week in the Twitterverse' from our friends at MGoBlog.

Oh, and about that No. 1 basketball ranking?

— Nesbitt can be reached at stnesbit@umich.edu or on Twitter: @stephenjnesbitt.

|