NA

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

November 11, 2012 - 5:17pm

First TI-84 graphing calculator with color display in the works

BY STEVEN TWEEDIE

Texas Instruments, the dominant manufacturer of graphing calculators, has been confirmed to be developing a version of their successful TI-84 with a color display, dubbed the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition.

A favorite for high school and college students, the TI-84 and its ancestor the TI-83 have seen steady sales even with their simplistic, no-frills colorless screens. Despite the product line’s lack of color, it looks like a more vibrant model will be hitting shelves, possibly as soon as spring.

Details about the new device were revealed from a teacher who claims to have been given a classroom set by Texas Instruments for testing. Further confirmation has been found through the graphic calculator’s official site, where those interested can sign up for email alerts about the new TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, a name which matches the vigilante teacher’s “spy image.”

It is important to note that the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition is not the first calculator from Texas Instruments to feature a colored display. Last year, the company released a version of their TI-Nspire graphing calculator that sports a more-advanced operating system with a color-screen.

While not the first color screen calculator from Texas Instruments, the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition offers an alternative to students in high school and college, where most instructors do not allow calculators higher than the TI-84 family due to possibilities of cheating or advanced features.

Have you even thought of the most exciting possibility? Block Dude … in color. Calculus will never be the same.

|