2012-02-16

Friday, July 25, 2014

February 16, 2012 - 5:13pm

Federal charges filed against Jenson in child porn case

BY ADAM RUBENFIRE

Former University of Michigan Health System resident Stephen Jenson is now facing federal charges of posessinging and receiving child pornography, according to an affidavit filed yesterday with the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.

The affidavit was filed by the U.S. Secret Service. The document alleges that Jenson possessed 97 images and four videos of "suspected child pornography" on electronic devices seized in a Dec. 2, 2011 search warrant executed by detectives from the University's Department of Public Safety.

Jeff Frost, Special Agent in Charge of the U.S. Secret Service's Detroit field office, confirmed that the charges were filed by his office.

"We frequently work these types of investigations with our partners in the Michigan State Police and the International Crimes Against Children Task Force as well the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children," Frost said. "...this is one of those cases that was worked."

According to the U.S. Department of Justice's website, the Federal Bureau of Investigation would handle child pornography cases. However, Frost said jurisdictions overlap in many cases.

"If we're asked to assist any law enforcement organization, we're certainly going to provide our assistance," Frost said.

U.S. Attorney Matthew Roth will represent the prosecution in the case. Roth could not be reached for comment as of this evening.

On state charges, Jenson is currently represented by Ann Arbor Attorney Joseph Simon. However, in an interview tonight, Simon said he will not represent Jenson in the federal case. He added that the state charges will most likely be dismissed at Jenson's preliminary exam tomorrow in Ann Arbor District Court.

|