2012-12-12

Friday, October 31, 2014

December 13, 2012 - 6:56pm

Collins appointed to Detroit Federal Reserve board

BY ANDREW WEINER AND ASH NATARAJAN

Public Policy Dean Susan Collins will serve on the board of directors of the Detroit branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, starting in January.

The University announced on Thursday that Collins will replace Brian Walker, president and chief executive of Herman Miller, Inc, a furniture company headquartered in Zeeland, Mich. As a member of the board, she will help act as a liaison to private industries and weigh in on monetary policy.

Walker was re-appointed in 2012 for an unexpired three-year term. Mark Schurman, director of communications for Herman Miller, Inc., said Walker voluntarily left the position to spend more time at the company.

“He had competing priorities," Schurman said. "He came to the decision that he needed to step away and spend more time on his responsibilities to Herman Miller."

Collins is a dean and professor of public policy in the Ford School of Public Policy and a professor of economics in LSA. Before coming to the University, she was a senior fellow with the Brookings Institute and a professor of economics at Georgetown University. She received an undergraduate degree from Harvard University and a Ph.D. in economics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

University spokesman Rick Fitzgerald declined to comment further.

The Federal Reserve Banks of Chicago has not released a statement on the appointment and could not be reached for further comment.

Story updated: This story has been updated with details on why Walker resigned from his board position.