NA

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

November 29, 2012 - 12:51am

Beloved 'Boy Meets World' to reach new generation of fans through sequel

BY PROMA KHOSLA

As of Monday, Nov. 26, it is official: The “Boy Meets World” sequel, “Girl Meets World,” is going into production.

Rumors have been circulating for weeks about “Girl,” with reactions everywhere from GIFs of joy to rants about the sanctity of beloved fiction — and that’s just what occurred in my head. But on Tuesday, the official word was released; original stars Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel have signed on, and “Girl Meets World” is about to meet a whole new generation of viewers — and some very passionate fans.

I’m still torn. It’s no secret around these parts how much “Boy Meets World” means to me as a student of media studies and just a ’90s kid who spent her afternoons with the old John Adams gang.

“Boy Meets World” was not just a show, but a moment in television and culture, a moment that will never come again. Cory (Savage) and Topanga’s (Fishel) daughter is going to have an iPhone and a Twitter and Gen Y’s innate fear of standing still while the rest of the world keeps moving. She’ll never fly to Orlando in a cargo jet to tell someone she loves him or experience the consequences of a friend who put a cherry bomb in a mailbox.

At the same time, I cannot deny my excitement for this show. I wish I knew now who I’ll be watching the premiere with — just so I can warn said companion well in advance of how much I’m going to lose it when I have Cory and Topanga on my screen again. With Fishel and Savage on board, the new writers can add fun tidbits and references to the original show and capture these characters’ adult lives while staying true to the young version of them with whom we first fell in love. Guest appearances by Strong and Will Friedle’s Eric seem all but mandatory.

Shortly after the announcement, Fishel posted on her Tumblr, speaking so directly to fans that I wondered if she’d heard my thoughts: “I appreciate that BMW meant enough to you that you don’t want to see its legacy tarnished. I can assure you, we don’t want that either.”

It is, after all, “Episode 1, of season 1, of a brand new show. We started at the same place with BMW but we evolved and we evolved quickly. For those of you who knew and loved BMW, please allow this show to evolve as well. Stick with us. Give us a chance.”

You convinced me, Topangs. I’ll see you soon.

—A version of this article was published in the Nov. 29 edition of The Daily.