2012-11-14

Sunday, December 21, 2014

November 15, 2012 - 2:34am

East Stadium bridges re-open after year-long project

BY ADAM RUBENFIRE

After an extensive, year-long project to rebuild the ailing crossings, the East Stadium Boulevard bridges were re-opened to pedestrian and vehicular traffic on Wenesday.

City officials completed the $22.8 million project on time, as promised. Funding for the East Stadium Bridges Improvement Project came the city of Ann Arbor, the state of Michigan and the U.S. Department of Transportation.

However, drivers on the bridge won’t be totally free from road work just yet.

In order to allow for landscaping of the area surrounding the bridges, a single lane on both the east and westbound sides of East Stadium Boulevard will be closed from 9 a.m. to 3 a.m. from Thursday until November 30, the city announced Wednesday.

$15 million in federal funding made up most of the project’s funding, with $13.9 million coming from Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery grants, otherwise known as TIGER grants, which were included in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act passed in 2009.

At a groundbreaking ceremony for the project in November 2011, U.S. Rep. John Dingell (D-Mich.) said a rebuild of the bridge was long overdue. He stressed that the revitalization of the crossing was proof that the Recovery Act was making a positive impact on America’s cities and towns.

“The ARRA and the recovery legislation has worked,” Dingell said.“And it’s going to do more to see to it that we have jobs and opportunity.”