Fine Arts

Saturday, April 19, 2014

New York Philharmonic to return to Ann Arbor with two Hill performances

By Tehreem Sajjad, Daily Arts Writer

With a track record of over 15,000 concerts in 430 cities, 63 countries and five continents, New York Philharmonic is returning to Ann Arbor this year to deliver two enthralling orchestra performances. Both concerts will mark Alan Gilbert’s first appearance in Michigan as music director of the Philharmonic.

“What’s most unique about the New York Philharmonic is that it’s been in existence for 171 years and has a tradition of excellence,” said Acting Principal Clarinet Mark Nuccio.

Founded in 1842, the New York Philharmonic is the oldest symphony orchestra in the world. Its rich tradition includes the works of directors Bruno Walter, Willem Mengelberg and Arturo Toscanini. The Philharmonic is recognized for yielding some of the best music of its time and is an internationally acclaimed musical institution.

Since 1916, 16 of the 15,000 concerts performed by the New York Philharmonic have taken place in Ann Arbor. This year, the Philharmonic will be playing at Hill Auditorium during the concert hall’s 100th anniversary season.

The first of the Philharmonic’s performances will feature “The Marriage of Figaro,” Mozart’s Symphony No. 36 and Johannes Brahms’s Symphony No. 1. In the second program, Gilbert will conduct Modest Mussorgsky’s “Night on Bald Mountain,” Ernest Bloch’s “Schelomo” with cellist Jan Vogler as soloist and Pyotr ll'yich Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 6, Pathétique.

Alan Gilbert, the Philharmonic’s newly appointed music director, has strived to make the orchestra a token of pride for New York City and the country since he took the post in 2009. He is the first New Yorker to be offered the highest position at the Philharmonic. Gilbert is also the director of Orchestral Studies at the Philharmonic and holds the William Schuman chair position in Musical Studies at The Juilliard School. His recordings have received top honors from The Chicago Tribune and Gramophone magazine.

Cellist Jan Vogler will also be playing as part of the orchestra. An award-winning artist, Vogler records for SONY Classical. Considered a cello prodigy, Vogler became the principle cello at the Staatskapelle Dresden, a German Orchestra, and was named the youngest concertmaster in the Orchestra’s history. Vogler also won the Echo Klassik Award (the German equivalent of the Grammy) in 2008 for some of his recordings.

While the New York Philharmonic aspires to cultivate its audience’s musical zest, its Ann Arbor visit also comprises numerous classes that will be taught by Philharmonic brass and string musicians, including Christopher S. Lamb, Joe Alessi and Glenn Dicterow, at the University’s School of Music, Theatre & Dance.

Correction appended: A previous version of this article misspelled the name of Christopher S. Lamb. It also misidentified one of the pieces to be performed by the New York Philharmonic, misstated Mark Nuccio’s name as Mark Schmoockler and incorrectly indicated that the New York Philharmonic has existed for 160 years.

|