TV/New Media

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Kayla Upadhyaya: How Claire Danes became an unstoppable force

By Kayla Upadhyaya, Daily TV/New Media Columnist
Published December 3, 2012

For two years, Claire Danes has been invincible. Since 2010, she has been nominated for nine significant awards (two Emmys, two Satellites, two Golden Globes, one SAG, one Critics’ Choice and one Television Critics Association) for her roles in the HBO biopic “Temple Grandin” and Showtime’s thriller “Homeland.”

She won all nine.

I first discovered Danes in seventh grade. I was at a friend’s house watching TeenNick — my family only had basic cable at the time, so this was a big deal — when “My So-Called Life” came on. As unpolished and bluff as a middle schooler’s diary, “Life” was unlike any of the moralizing teen shows I watched at the time (“Boy Meets World” and “7th Heaven” being some of the worst offenders of twisting adolescence into romanticized parables).

I caught episodes sporadically, unable to watch the series from start to finish until Netflix came around, but even in fragmented pieces, I fell for Danes’s Angela Chase, who thought being a woman meant dyeing her hair without her mother’s permission, wearing dark red lipstick and dating boys who drink their coffee black. I treasured Angela’s striking, star-crossed friendship with Rayanne, like Angela clutching Tarot cards close to her heart.

Much of MSCL’s charm came from its emotionally honest writing and characters, but Danes was its beating heart, her natural delivery — full of “ums,” “likes” and uneven pauses — injecting Angela with truth.

We’ve quite literally watched Danes grow up on our TV screens. She was only 15 years old when she won her first Golden Globe for Best Lead Actress in a Drama in 1995, and she beat out contenders with well more than double her experience. In her acceptance speech, she was as plain-spoken as Angela, but forgot to thank her parents. Which is why, 17 years later, she was sure to thank them right away when she accepted the same exact award for her performance as the charged and discerning Carrie Mathison in “Homeland.” I told you — Claire Danes knows how to win awards.

Nowadays, every TV critic worth his or her salt is head-over-heels for her, but this wasn’t always the case. For a brief period in the late ’90s, Danes was incredibly unpopular among critics and TV lovers, but it had nothing to do with her talent.

When it became apparent that “My So-Called Life” was facing cancellation, news soon followed that Danes had approached the network to say that she did not wish to continue being a part of the project. A group of fervent fans of the series formed Operation Life Support, which circulated nasty emails criticizing Danes for her perceived role in the show’s demise. One particularly inflammatory e-mail boasted the subject line “CLAIRE DANES BRINGS DEATH TO ‘LIFE.’ ”

In 2004, Danes admitted in an interview with Entertainment Weekly that she and her parents discussed her departure with the show’s creators, but Danes also pointed out an undeniable truth: No teenaged actor has the power to shut down a series. “Life” was suffering from weak ratings, and when the network became aware that Danes might not be interested in continuing on a fledgeling project, she became the scapegoat. The flame war waged against her was unfair and ultimately pointless.

Fortunately, despite the drama, Danes didn’t fade. Angela and Carrie are staggering bookends for Danes’s TV career so far, and in between she has done heartfelt and rich work, the most notable being her multifaceted and demanding portrayal of Temple Grandin.

Many actors have risen to the challenge of portraying autistic individuals (even Danes’s husband Hugh Dancy, who played the titular character of 2009’s “Adam”).