Sunday, September 14, 2014

Amid national debate, Snyder vetoes gun concealment bill

By Danielle Raykhinshteyn, Daily Staff Reporter
Published December 18, 2012

On Tuesday afternoon Republican Gov. Rick Snyder vetoed Senate Bill 59, which would have allowed concealed weapons in previously gun-free zones, such as schools, hospitals and churches.

The bill reached Snyder on Tuesday afternoon, and he vetoed it around 4 p.m.

Snyder said in a letter that he vetoed the bill because he felt the legislation's language did not make it clear enough that affected areas could opt out of the expanded freedoms.

“Each (institution) is entrusted with the care of a vulnerable population and should have the authority to determine whether its mission would be enhanced by the addition of concealed weapons,” Snyder said in the letter.

Snyder added it's important to defend basic rights as outlined in the Constitution, referring to the Second Amendment, but that careful judgment must be practiced in such cases.

“While we must vigilantly protect the rights of law-abiding firearm owners, we also must ensure the right of designated public entities to exercise their best discretion in matters of safety and security,” Snyder said.

The University has an already instated ordinance on the prohibition of firearms and other weapons on campus.

Senate Bill 59 originally passed during a lame-duck session of the Michigan legislature, along with measures affecting union and abortion rights. The gun law received national headlines following the elementary school shooting in Newtown, Conn.